I know that after turning 1 your baby technically is a toddler, but seriously, I didn´t know that my baby (or should I say toddler now?) also knew that cross-over date. From the moment he turned 1, it is as if he has been literally reprogrammed and got his wires reset to “toddler stage”. So no easing in for this mama, one day I had a cute, little baby to snuggle with, the next morning I wake up and I have a ranting toddler (and don´t be mistaken by the looks, he might still look as cute as always but inside turns out there´s a little manipulator as well).
It is as if on his first birthday, the bichin took the decision that he was now a real toddler and he was going to behave like one. It´s in the way he looks at us (as if he knows it all), the way he knows what he wants, the way he moves, and the way he basically refuses everything that we had in mind to do.
Some random daily thoughts of the bichin:
• “I refuse to get help with putting my shoes on, I can do it myself. But wait, I can´t,
there´s no way I am ever going to get them around my feet. Still, I don´t want help anyway”
• “I always loved getting a bath, now I just want to protest for the sake of protesting when it´s bath time. Once in it I usually realize I quite like it so I throw the same drama when it´s time to get out”
• “Bedtime? Hah, my number 1 rule is to NEVER go asleep”
• “I throw a tantrum because of the type of the food I get served, throw it all on the floor and then realize I actually do want all that food”
• “When I see my mom is in a hurry or stressed, I refuse to get dressed just for the fun of it”
• “I don´t like laying still so I will never ever collaborate during a diaper change anymore. Like, never”
• “So fun to wake-up every morning between 5 and 6am, look at these groggy faces of my parents and how they´re trying to get me to sleep for another hour. Obviously not doing that, who cares anyway, I will get another good nap in after breakfast”
• “I actually like hanging out with other people but as long as my mom is within a 1km radius I won´t let her notice that I am good with my auntie so I like to do a little theater. As long as she´s out of the 1km radius I turn back to normal and play nicely with my auntie”
• “Screen time limits? Hah, I am going to put that limit to the test”
• “Wet wipes are the enemy”
• “I will get done what I want to get done no matter what it takes. If it doesn´t work with my parents I know I can always manipulate my granddad, he will do it anyway”
• “Jackets are for losers, so don´t you dare putting me one when we go outside”
Sometimes I can´t help but laughing my ass off about his smartass behavior, but I also know this is just the beginning of being a toddler. He´s strong-willed already but he´s just one, so who knows what the terrible two´s and threenager stage is going to bring us!