It´s almost 6 months ago that I stopped breastfeeding. After stopping, the only random thought I often have is that now I understand why people keep going for years and years because honestly, what you´re left with after stopping is a pretty sad situation. Yes, you have your “freedom” back: no more pumping machines, no more looking at the clock to see if a tiny glass of wine is allowed, no more feeding or pumping schedules making your working life quite a logistical nightmare… But where a lot of people say “you have your body back”, I am not sure I agree, because that part of my body is almost non-existent now!
So yeah, nowadays I sometimes think that if I would still be breastfeeding that shirt or that dress would look a whole lot better on me. Because let´s be honest, if you have had small breast for your whole adult life, then you feel pretty good about that part during pregnancy and the breastfeeding phase.
However, breastfeeding has definitely not been a walk in the park for me. It took a lot of tears, screams and curses to get breastfeeding somehow established. After the first couple of months, I did really enjoy breastfeeding. But during…. It was really tough! Some random thoughts I had during my 8 months of breastfeeding which I found on my phone last week:
• Ohhhhh my… this feels like somebody is working my nipples with razor blades
• What is this? A baby or a piranha?
• Breast is best? That´s clearly not about the mother
• Explain to me how someone making my nipples bleed is the most beautiful time of my life
• Why does my father in law keep asking me every 3minutes whether the bichin is still drinking while looking there?
• Why the h*ck am I doing this?
• Did the nurse forget to mention that using a nipple hat for a few weeks ensures that your baby sucks even stronger, because he is bigger, on your virgin-only-nipple-hat-breastfeeding-nipples?
• A good side effect of me screaming during the night when my baby latches on is that dad also wakes up
• I am so going to buy bottle milk tomorrow, this sucks
• I am probably the only person awake right now
• If I pretend that I am breastfeeding than the stewardess won´t make me move back to my own seat for landing
• Annoying visitors, perfect timing to feed the baby in private
• Now I get why horses can sleep standing up and with their eyes open
• Yes, awesome advice, to relax to get the milk going. Who on earth can relax with this pain?
• Why don´t people update their FB during the night, i am bored
• Rugby position? Seriously?
Obviously, this list could go on and on, but it did get better after a couple of months and, more importantly, pain-free! Goodbye piranha, hello sweet baby snuggles for the last months of breastfeeding!
How was your breastfeeding experience?
Photo credit: JuneBugsMumma