No matter how long the days sometimes might seem, (especially after two weeks home alone with the little dudie because C was in India, I can wholeheartedly confirm the longness of some days ;)) and no matter how much I might be longing for bedtime because then I can finally crash on the couch with Netflix, there is one part of our bedtime ritual I never rush on because we all love it. The bath might be skipped, there might be one less story, however, the last part of the bedtime ritual will always be done in condition.
And the fact is since we started doing this, the bichin also likes his bedtime ritual so much more. Whereas before he might be crying/screaming/protesting if it was time to go to bed, now he sprints to his room to sit down with us and review the day. Review the day? With a two-year-old? Yep! I read about this once and I figured L might be a bit too young for it still, however, for some reason, I decided to incorporate it into our bedtime ritual anyway. So we started doing this some months ago and we all love it! So what does our bedtime ritual look like?
- Bath / shower time (sometimes skipped if we´re late)
- Choose PJs and put them on
- Dinner time in the kitchen
- Bedtime reading, first we did this on the couch, now he has a big boy bed we transferred this part to his room. Some nights there are just 1 or 2 small stories, but since we all love reading a lot, most nights there are quite some books involved!
- We put his sleep trainer alarm (aff) to sleep (Seriously, this sheep is awesome, you put him to sleep and decide which time the sheep wakes up in the morning. The idea is that the child doesn´t come out of bed until the sheep wakes up, for us it´s still a work in progress but it´s definitely going the right way!)
- And then it´s time to review the day. Sometimes he wants to sit on the floor together, other times we lay down on his bed. It´s super simple but we just talk through the day, what we did since we woke up until going to bed again. In the beginning, (when he couldn´t talk much yet) it was mostly us talking and him nodding and cuddling, but lately, he´s definitely giving his input as well. So we ask him what he did in daycare, what he had for lunch, who he played with, what he liked most etc. This has turned out to be a really nice way to have some quality, quiet, time with the 3 of us (if we´re all home, or just the bichin with his dad or mom on other evenings). I really like the concept of just talking through the day without any distractions, just talking with each other and being together (obviously, followed by a lot of nighttime kisses, cuddles and “te quiero´s”…. when one of us is not home, he usually sends the kisses and “te quiero´s” to the door for the missing parent :)).
What is the favorite part of your bedtime ritual?