Before becoming a mom, I had never heard of the “mom brain”, and even in the beginning I still thought it was quite an exaggerated concept. I mean, if you used to be sharp and could remember things well, how on earth could that suddenly change just because you had a kid? Oh, how naïve I was…
So yes, almost 1,5years into the mom gig I definitely know the concept mom brain now. I might know it a bit too well, because seriously, I surprise myself on a weekly (or maybe daily) basis on what mom brain can do to you. My sharp days are so over!
Read also: How Moms Think vs. How Dads Think
My worst mom brain moments so far:
- Putting the dummies and bottle teats to sterilize in boiling water, only to be reminded of this when you smell melted plastic. (This happens to me about twice a month, calculate how much money I have wasted because we needed new dummies and teats AGAIN)
- Doing my nails (mom win in itself!) only to realize the next day I just did one hand
- Having to look up my own phone number when someone asks for it
- Finding diapers in the laundry basket (and dirty clothes in the bin)
- Putting water to boil to make pasta to come back half an hour later to a dry-cooked pot
- Not remembering when I showered last
- Forgetting to put the leftovers in the fridge only to find them the next morning for breakfast
- Looking for my phone which is usually in my hand
- Speaking of looking for, not being able to find anything ever (keys, bags, office entrance card, etc.)
- Starting a sentence but not being able to finish it because I forgot what I wanted to say
- Putting stuff in its place to forgot about 10 minutes later what that super logical place is
- Doing the laundry and forgetting there are clothes in the machine only to realize 2
days later there´s this humid, stinking pile of clothes in there (Points for trying right?)
- Making a meal plan without doing the corresponding grocery shopping which I usually realize when already half of the meal is in the pot
- Shaving my legs, or actually, just one leg which I don´t realize before I am in the office the next day in a skirt…
- Forgetting important dates (birthdays, anniversaries etc.) or basically, just anything to do with a date. (When someone asks when Lucas was born I sometimes forget what year it was!)
So yes, I can confirm, mom brain is real!
What were your best moments of mom brain?
Read also: Simulating motherhood – a checklist