I have always been a bookworm and was reading ALL. THE. TIME. When I was young at some point it was hard to still find books in my age category in the library that I hadn´t read yet and when we went on holidays I would take 10kilos of books. Since I became a mom, my reading rhythm has definitely stagnated, but we try to read a lot to the little guy. Especially in the evening after his bath and dinner, reading a book ( or two, or three) is a fixed part of our bedtime ritual. We´re reading mainly English and Dutch books, but a lof of my all-time Dutch favorites are also available in English. Some of the books we read now used to be mine when I was young so they don´t look too awesome anymore but it´s really nice to re-use my childhood favs!
Read also Raising Bilingual Kids
We have a lot of books in this house but I have made a top 10 of the ones we love most, some of these are originally Dutch but translated in English and they are awesome!
1. One of my personal favourites also when I was young is Jip and Janneke. Jip and Janneke are probably the most famous preschoolers in the Netherlands and their adventures are timeless. This one is a must have in every home with young kids!
2. The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit is probably the favorite of the bichin, he adores this story! After every animal, he wants to know what sound they make and keeps pointing at the animals. We have this one in Dutch and in English to help in our bilingual ambitions.
3. Little kids tend to love this book, in The Very Hungry Caterpillar they can stick their fingers through all the food that the caterpillar is eating and that makes it very interactive.
4. We love The Rainbow Fish, the bichin gets really fascinated with the silvery / shiny / glittery fins of the main character and it also gives a good message on sharing with others.
5. I think this is more my favourite than the bichin´s but hey, I should also get to choose one for all those daily reading sessions right? Guess How Much I Love You Just because it´s cute!
6. The Going-To-Bed Book is a great one to include in a bedtime ritual.
7. This one is also a favourite from when I was young, the book has no text but awesome drawings and this allows for making your own story. I was literally obsessed with Monkie and my mom actually kept my book so we´re reading the same one to the bichin. (Somehow it says “Dutch Edition” but since the book has no text I can still very much recommend it!)
8. This book, Happy Hippo, Angry Duck , is great to do some initial learning about moods.
9. We love all the Miffy books . This little rabbit is a typical Dutch icon so obviously the bichin also has some Miffy figure toys (when you live abroad that is what people gift you to get some Dutch in the house). A lot of the Miffy books have been translated in many many languages and they are awesome!
10. Another famous Dutch favorite translated is Tow-Truck Pluck. Again, my parents used to read this one to me but it´s timeless so now I am reading the same book to my son.
What are your favourite bedtime reads?
Read also: I Don´t Know How She Does It
(This post contains affiliate links. That means that you pay the normal price if you buy anything but I might receive a small commission. All opinions are my own and I only recommend stuff that I truly love and use myself!)